This recipe is a variation on Mediterranean Kafta, a dish passed down for generations by our great grandma tete Nazo. The ground beef is flavored with diced parsley and onion and is spiced up with a blend of peppers. Kafta is commonly eaten grilled or baked. In this recipe we use my dad’s specialty mixture of peppers- My Baba’s Pepper. Add to that onion and parsley. Spaghetti and lots of Marinara sauce are in the mix. To top it up, we drizzle HOT Zaatar to elevate the flavors even more! HOT Zaatar pairs beautifully with the Marinara sauce, it’s a winning combo! Drooling yet? I don’t blame you! This Mediterranean fusion dish is an easy staple for every home!
- 2 lb Meat (turkey, ground beef, seitan)
1-1.25 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp ‘My Baba’s Pepper’ https://apricotsunfoodbar.com/shop/
- 2 tbsp Breadcrumbs (thick ones are recommended, can be gluten-free)
- ½ Onion (medium sized, diced)
- ½ bunch parsley (diced)
- Apricot Sun Zaatar Spread (Original or HOT)
- 1 lb Pasta
- 1 jar Red tomato sauce (Marinara or Basil)
- 1/4 cup Shredded parmesan or mozzarella cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Cut out an aluminum sheet and lay it flat, or use a cutting board dedicated for handling. meats. Use gloves for raw meat handling (optional).
- Cut another aluminum sheet and lay on top of a baking pan. Spray with spray oil.
- In a small bowl mix the spices- salt, My Baba’s Pepper & breadcrumbs.
- Peel, wash, & dice onion- medium to fine dice.
- Bunch, wash & dice parsley- medium dice.
- Glove hands (optional).
- Place the ground beef on aluminum sheet or cutting board.
- Add all prepped ingredients- spices, onion and parsley.
- Mix and incorporate all ingredients with the meat until evenly distributed.
- Divide the meat into medium size pieces- about 1.5-2 tbsp.
- Bowl the meat and set on the baking pan.
- Remove gloves & wash hands. Place all raw meat items in trash, sink. Wash the preparation area promptly.
- Cook at 350F for 20 minutes or until internal temperature is 155F for beef or 165F for turkey or chicken. Broil at 400F for 2 minutes- till golden brown.
- Using a spoon mix the Zaatar Spread in the jar evenly.
- Dish pasta, meatballs, red tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, then drizzle about a tablespoon of Zaatar Spread (Original or HOT) for a flavorful Mediterranean topping!