Zaatar slathered on warm flatbread – Mana’esh- is a beloved Mediterranean snack enjoyed fresh from neighborhood ovens. Mana’esh comes from the Arabic word Na’esh which means to create marks or impressions (Manou’she – singular). This is done when we press the dough to make small impressions or pockets that get filled with the Zaatar Spread. Zaatar is a blend of herbs & spices mainly thyme, Sumac and Sesame Seeds. When mixed with olive oil it makes for the perfect savory spread.
Mana’esh are the perfect make-ahead appetizer, snack, or even brunch!
- Zaatar Spread- Shop. Choose from two sizes.
- Naan or Flatbread, Home-made or Frozen Dough
- Tomatoes, diced
- Mozarella or Vegan Cheese
- Fresh mint leaves (optional)
- Spray olive oil lightly onto a baking sheet.
- Place Naan or Flatbread, home-made or ready dough- depending on what you have available.
- Open the Zaatar Spread jar and stir until the herbs, spices & olive oil are evenly mixed.
- Spoon about 2-3 tbsp or enough to cover the bread or dough generously. Keep about ¼ inch of crust.
- If using dough:
- Press on the dough with the tips of fingers to make indentations or marks for the Zaatar Spread to settle in.
- Pre-heat the oven to 420F.
- Place the dough with Zaatar Spread on the middle rack.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes or until the dough is slightly browned on the bottom and edges.
- Move to top rack for 1-2 minutes of until lightly browned.
- Pull the flatbread out of the over.
- Zaatar spread will remain liquid at this point. Remove from heat and let sit for about 5 minutes, the Zaatar topping will dry and settle into dough.
- If using Naan or pre-baked Flatbread:
- Spread a generous amount of Zaatar Spread.
- Bake at 350F for 5-6 minutes or just enough to warm.
- Top with diced tomatoes, any of your favorite cheese, and fresh mint leaves for garnish (optional).
- Cut into pieces with a knife or pizza cutter.
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Sahtein! (to your health)
Just had Zaatar Mana’esh at Broad Ripple Farmers Market and it was beyond! Will definitely be back for more in the near future!Lisa Freeman- happy customer 🙂